UNESCO’s 33rd General Conference in 2005 decided that UNESCO would again be the main partner of the Forum. Under the framework agreement drawn up by UNESCO’s Director-General with the Monterrey Foundation 2007 made up of the Federal Government of Mexico, the State of Nuevo León and the Municipality of Monterrey, UNESCO will provide technical assistance and promote the Forum with international governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Organized with and for civil society, the Forum will be held from 20 September 2007 to 8 December 2007 at Monterrey’s Parque Fundidora.The key themes are cultural diversity, sustainability, peace and knowledge. The Forum’s events will be tailored to every type of public and will include exhibitions, performances, congresses and lectures, offering an interflow between the public and artists, intellectuals, political leaders, scientists, economists and experts in environmental protection from every region.
The programme will be structured around thematic weeks:
* 17–23 September : Peace and Spirituality (International Day of Peace, 21 September)
* 24–30 September : Education and Knowledge
* 1–7 October : Cities and Population (World Habitat Day, 1 October)
* 8–14 October : Health and Quality of Life
* 15–21 October : Culture, Economy and Development (International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, 17 October)
* 22–28 October : Governance and Participation (United Nations Day and World Development Information Day, 24 October)
* 29 October–4 November : Identity and Diversity
* 5–11 November : Science and Technology (World Science Day for Peace and Development, 10 November)
* 12–18 November : Human Rights and Justice (International day for Tolerance, 16 November)
* 19–25 November : Communication (World Television Day, 21 November)
* 26 November – 2 December : Environment and Natural Resources
* 3–7 December : Cultural Policies (International Volunteer day for Economic and Social Development, 5 December)
- Monterrey Forum 2007